|Diocesan Post-Primary Schools|
The College of the Immaculate Conception, Summerhill, Sligo
The College of the Immaculate Conception was founded by the then Bishop of Elphin, Dr Laurence Gillooly in Summerhill, Athlone in 1857. It was transferred to Sligo in 1880 and provided with temporary accommodation in Quay Street, pending the building of a new school. The present college was formally opened in 1892. Popularly, the college has always remained known as "Summerhill". For many decades the College catered for both boarders and dayboys and operated essentially as a junior seminary for the diocese of Elphin. Since its foundation the college was always presided over by a succession of diocesan priests until a break with tradition came in 1999 with the appointment of, the current principal, Mr Michael Murphy, as the first lay principal
College of the Immaculate Conception
St Aloysius College, Dearpark, Athlone
St Aloysius College was founded by the late Dr. Hanly, Bishop of Elphin, and the late Monsignor John McCarthy in 1960. The school had its humble beginnings in a small room attached to the Dean Crowe hall. Later it moved to a site at Deerpark Road, where it has continued to grow and develop. From the early days of the school right up to his death in 1963, Monsignor McCarthy was the main driving-force and inspiration. He was ably assisted by Father John Feeney, the school's first Principal.
St Aloysius College, Dearpark Rd,
St Cuan's College, Castlebalkeney
In the 60’s this was a private school owned by a Mrs Maureen Melody with an enrolment of 81 girls. The school and the land on which it was built were purchased in 1963 by the Presentation Sisters and the very first Presentation of Mary Convent in Ireland was founded. Unfortunately the Congregation had to leave St Cuan’s in 1960. The same year Mr Eamonn Donaghue became the first non-religious Head Master.
St Cuan's College
Principal: Mr Martin Giblin