Coming to Confidence in Our Catholic Faith
Would you like to:
- have a better understanding of our Catholic Faith?
- be around people of faith?
- grow in knowledge of yourself and God?
- be more motivated by love than fear or obligation?
- be at ease speaking about the Catholic Faith with family and friends?
- put down roots in your faith, roots that will keep you grounded when all the world seems to be questioning the value of religion?
- explore more deeply God’s word to us all?
Are you open to:
- attending a weekly meeting for seven weeks and joining in the discussion?
- undertaking some reading between meetings?
- pondering how the content resonates with your life experiences?
- allowing others express how the content is resonating with them?
- having fun along the way …. not taking ourselves too seriously?
If your answer to the majority of these questions is ‘yes’ please read on.
Two information evenings concerning the above seven-week course will take place as follows:
Hazelwood Meeting Room, Sligo Park Hotel, Sligo,
8 – 8.40 pm, Tuesday, September 17th, 2019.
Function Room, Gleeson’s Townhouse, Roscommon,
8 – 8.40 pm, Wednesday, September 18th, 2019.
Everyone is welcome at these meetings and if you are interested but unable to attend please contact the course convener, Justin Harkin @ 087 6171526 / [email protected] .
WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COURSE RUN?
Subject to interest the course will run one night a week in Co. Sligo and Co. Roscommon, beginning mid-October.
Each session will last c. 1 hour and forty-five minutes and include the following elements:
* a short time of scripture-based prayer,
* facilitated discussion on the prescribed reading material,
* tea break,
* a brief closing input from the group’s spiritual director.
Should those who are interested be available during the day the sessions may run mid-morning.
HOW MANY PLACES ARE THERE?
Each course will accommodate a minimum of ten and a maximum of sixteen adults.
To receive a place an interested person must be willing to commit to an hour of reading and reflection between sessions and commit to attending all sessions. The reading can be undertaken in one sitting or over a number of days.
IS THERE A COST?
Yes. €35 or €5 per session (with participants contributing to the cost of sessions they do not attend).
This includes the cost of a book from which the course will draw, i.e. Petroc Willey, Dominic Scotto, Donald Asci & Elizabeth Siegel A Year with the Catechism : 365 Day Reading Plan, Catholic Truth Society, London, 2016, and hand-outs which will be drawn from Sacred Scripture (the Bible), the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the writings of some saints.
WHO FACILITATES AND MODERATES THIS COURSE?
Each session will be facilitated by a trained facilitator knowledgeable in the Catholic Faith. Initially, and possibly for the duration of the course, this is likely to be Justin Harkin, Director, Elphin Diocese’s Pastoral & Faith Development Services.
The course will be moderated by Rev. Dr. Michael Drumm, Chairperson, Elphin Diocese’s Education Commission.
THIS IS AN INTRODUCTORY COURSE. WILL THERE BE FOLLOW-UP COURSES?
Subject to demand a follow-on course will be offered to those who wish to advance their understanding and confidence.
1. Getting started
2. The three-legged stool of our Faith!
3. Our capacity for God
4. God on God
5. Sacred Scripture in the service of relationship
6. Faith revisited
7. So what do we believe?
TO RESERVE A PLACE
Places may be reserved after the above Information meetings. Simply contact Justin (as below).
Diocese of Elphin,
Pastoral & Faith Dev. Services,
Rooms 2 – 4, St. Coman’s Club, Abbey St., Roscommon. F42 YT51
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: 087 6171526