RE Teachers & Chaplains’ In-service
Post-Primary Religious Education Teachers & Chaplains’ In-service
Tuesday March 7th, 10 – 3 pm,
The Abbey Hotel,
Roscommon. F42 F992.
Title: Facing the Challenge of Religious Education Today
Presenter / Facilitator: Prof. Thomas H. Groome.
09.30 am: Word of Welcome & Short Prayer Service
09.50 am: Reflection on our experience as RE teachers and Chaplains
(led by Prof. Groome)
10.20 am: Catholic Education Today (internationally) and the valued
place of Religious Education, RE Teachers and Chaplains
11.00 am: Tea / Coffee
11.15 am: Introduction to and Experimentation with Prof. Groome’s
shared praxis approach to Religious Education in the
classroom (Life to Faith to Life) in Catholic Secondary Schools
/ Post-Primary Schools.
12.30 pm: Lunch
01.15 pm: Reflection on our needs and aspirations as RE teachers and
Chaplains going forward (led by Prof. Groome)
02.00 pm: Further exploration with Prof. Groome’s shared praxis
approach to eligious Education & identification of helpful
02.30 pm: Diocesan Notices
02.50 pm Expression of thanks and appreciation & Closing Prayer
To reserve / guarantee a place / places please contact Justin Harkin @ 087 6171526 / firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday March 1st.
Free to Teachers and Chaplains teaching Religious Education in Secondary and Post-Primary schools serving the parishes of the Elphin Diocese.
A contribution of €40, which includes tea / coffee and lunch, is required from other teachers and may be paid by dioceses, schools or individual teachers. Cheques payable to “Pastoral & Faith Development Services”
Prof. Thomas H. Groome
A native of Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath, Prof. Thomas H. Groome is Senior Professor of Theology and Religious Education and Director of The Church in The 21st Century Center in Boston College, Massachusetts, USA.
In the past forty years, in addition to teaching at Boston College, he has:
- made over 800 presentations, including keynote addresses at many prestigious Catholic Education and Religious Education Conferences;
- been a Guest lecturer at many major universities, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Notre Dame, Villanova and Fordham;
- lectured widely beyond the US (South America, Asia, Austrialia and Europe);
- undertaken media work with TV and Radio networks including, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, Fox News, BBC and RTE;
- authored, edited and co-edited a number of highly acclaimed books and published more than 180 articles and essays in scholarly journals and popular publications on Catholic and religious education and ministry and produced a video series entitled What Makes Us Catholic (Silver Burdette, 2006).
- been to the fore in Religious Education Curricula development in the US, being the primary author of God With Us (Sadlier, 1984), Coming to Faith (Sadlier, 1989) and New and Revised Edition of Coming to Faith (Sadlier, 1995).
- served as General Editor and Crafter of The Credo Series (Veritas, 2016), an eleven book Theology curriculum for Catholic High Schools, now used in c. 17% (one in six) of all Catholic High Schools in the USA.
He comes to Ireland for the working week March 6th to 10th 2017 at the invitation of the Diocese of Elphin, the Jesuit Education Desk, The Catholic Schools Partnership, The National Association of Post-Primary Diocesan Religious Education Advisors, St. Angela’s College (Sligo), The Mater Dei Centre for Catholic Education and The Council for Catechetics of the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference.
 Prof. Groome’s Books
Catholic Spiritual Practices, Ed. with Colleen Griffith, Paraclete,: Brewster, MA 2012.
Will There Be Faith, Harper One; San Francisco, 2011.
Reclaiming Catholicism: Treasures Old and New. Editor with Michael Daley, Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 2010.
Horizons and Hopes: The Future of Religious Education, Editor with Harold Daly Horell, New York: Paulist Press, 2003.
What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life. Harper: San Francisco, 2002.
Educating for Life: A Spiritual Vision for Every Teacher and Parent. New York: Crossroads, 2000.
Empowering Catechetical Leaders, Editor with Michael Corso, Washington, DC: National Catholic Educational Association, 1999.
Sharing Faith: A Comprehensive Approach to Religious Education and Pastoral Ministry. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1991.
Language for a “Catholic” Church. Kansas City: Sheed and Ward, 1991, 1995.
Christian Religious Education: Sharing our Story and Vision. San Fran: Harper, 1980.