The College of the Immaculate Conception, Summerhill, Sligo
The College of the Immaculate Conception was founded by the then Bishop of Elphin, Dr Laurence Gillooly in Summerhill, Athlone in 1857. It was transferred to Sligo in 1880 and provided with temporary accommodation in Quay Street, pending the building of a new school. The present college was formally opened in 1892. Popularly, the college has always remained known as “Summerhill”. For many decades the College catered for both boarders and dayboys and operated essentially as a junior seminary for the diocese of Elphin. Since its foundation the college was always presided over by a succession of diocesan priests until a break with tradition came in 1999 with the appointment of the first lay principal.
College of the Immaculate Conception
Tel: 071 9160311
Fax: 071 9160361
Principal: Mr Paul Keogh
St Aloysius College, Deerpark, Athlone
St Aloysius College was founded by the late Dr. Hanly, Bishop of Elphin, and the late Monsignor John McCarthy in 1960. The school had its humble beginnings in a small room attached to the Dean Crowe hall. Later it moved to a site at Deerpark Road, where it has continued to grow and develop. From the early days of the school right up to his death in 1963, Monsignor McCarthy was the main driving-force and inspiration. He was ably assisted by Father John Feeney, the school’s first Principal.
St Aloysius College
Tel: 090 6494153
Fax: 090 6494739
Principal: Mr Gearoid O’Conamha
Chaplain: Sr Bernard Lynch
St Cuan’s College, Castleblakeney
In the 60’s this was a private school owned by a Mrs Maureen Melody with an enrolment of 81 girls. The school and the land on which it was built were purchased in 1963 by the Presentation Sisters and the very first Presentation of Mary Convent in Ireland was founded. Unfortunately the Congregation had to leave St Cuan’s in 1960. The same year Mr Eamonn Donaghue became the first non-religious Head Master.
St Cuan’s College
Tel: 090 9678127
Fax: 090 9678137
Principal: Ms Colette Kennedy
St Joseph’s College, Summerhill, Athlone
St Joseph’s College, Summerhill, was first established as a day school in 1846 by the Ursuline Sisters who returned to Sligo in 1849. Bishop Gillooly then built Summerhill Diocesan College in Athlone which opened its doors to students, lay and clerical in 1875. In 1880, after the transfer of the Diocesan College to Sligo, the De La Salle Brothers established a certified Industrial school in the vacant college which was taken over by the Sisters of Mercy from Sligo in 1882. In 1957, second-level education was made available to all and in 1965 a new school was built.
St Joseph’s College
Tel: 090 6492383
Fax: 090 6492383
Principal: Mr Liam Nally
Coláiste Chiaráin, Athlone